This site offers free sheet music for piano students of all ages and levels. It also offers free theory games for music students of all ages and levels. More free stuff will also be added and offered in the future.
About MEA Piano Studio
MEA Piano Studio is located in Alexandria, Virginia. Private lessons are offered to students of all ages and levels. Please contact MEA Piano Studio if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.
MEA Piano Studio – Studio Policy and Information
Thanks for choosing MEA Piano Studio for piano lesson instruction. By reading this information sheet you will find info about myself, teaching experience, performance opportunities, studio policies and procedures, and more. Please be sure to read through everything thoroughly and carefully.
- Duke Ellington School – Washington D.C. – Dual Diploma – High School, Piano
- Radford University – Radford, Virginia – B.A. Music Composition
- Inhome Music – Fairfax County, Virginia – Private Piano Instructor 2004 – 2005
- Jordan Kitts – Springfield, Virginia – Private Piano Instructor 2005 – 2006
- MEA Piano Studio – Annandale, Virginia – Private Piano Instructor 2006 – 2007
- MEA Piano Studio – Alexandria, Virginia – Private Piano Instructor 2007 – Present
- Springfield Music Club
- Virginia Federation of Music Clubs
- National Federation of Music Clubs
- Northern Virginia Music Teachers Association
- Music Teachers National Association
About Piano Lessons
Piano lessons involve learning the language of music. And like any kind of language, students must have a solid foundation of the basics before moving on to more advanced concepts and repertoire. During lessons students cover what is needed to understand the language of music. This includes music theory, ear training, technique, sight reading, music theory, improvisation, performance skills, and composition. Studying these aspects of music will help create a well-rounded musician who understands and can perform or create music.
It is important to remember that the goal at MEA Piano Studio is not to create professional pianists or child prodigies. The goal is to create a well a well-rounded musician. And since no students are alike, the results will be as varied as the students. Children learn at different speeds. Each child has different temperaments, motivations, and interests. This is the case, even within families. Each student is approached as an individual and will grow as a musician with their own unique strengths. Music is not at all easy, nor will learning music be fun 100% of the time, but it is a life-long skill that many cherish. With sufficient practice and commitment, any student can succeed and enjoy the playing the piano.
Please read this part carefully. These are the rules I adhere to regarding rescheduling, missed lessons, the invoicing, payments and fees. Please do not ask for exceptions. These rules let the business side of teaching piano to run flow smoothly. Tuition changes each year. My current rates are listed below.
MEA Piano Studio Tuition (as of 2015 – 2016):
- 15 minute lessons (ages 3-4) – $85 per month
- 30 minute lessons (ages 6-12) – $165 per month
- 45 minute lessons (ages 6-12) – $200 per month
- 60 minute lessons (ages 13+) – $250 per month
- 75 minute lessons – $275 per month
- 90 minute lessons – $300 per month
These are flat monthly fees and reserve a student’s weekly lesson time slot. Much like private school tuition or rent. Tuition remains the same, whether students decide to attend lessons or miss lessons. Tuition is charged monthly. Tuition is not lowered or refunded for any missed lessons. There is no extra charge for months with extra weeks.
Missed Piano Lessons
Monthly tuition is a flat fee the remains the same for the entire year. Tuition will not be lowered for missed lessons. Tuition will not be refunded for missed lessons. If a lesson must be missed please let me know (by email or text) as soon as possible. If you have advanced notice that you will miss a lesson, please also notify me in advance. For emergencies, illness, ect, just email or text as soon as possible.
Rescheduled Piano Lessons
Students may reschedule a lesson online at www.meapianostudio.setmore.com. Make-ups can be scheduled at any time, for past or future make-ups, and for times when the studio is closed (festivals, illness, holidays, ect). It is the parent’s responsibility to keep track of missed lessons and to schedule make-ups. Monthly rates are flat fees, and shall not be lowered nor refunded for missed lessons.
Terminating Lessons by the Student
If a student decides to discontinue lessons MEA Piano Studio requires two weeks notice. Tuition is still due during this period, whether the student decides to attend lessons or not.
Termination of Lessons By the Instructor
As a piano instructor, I support and care for all of my students and their families in a very special way. One-to-one education is very concentrated, and the bond between teacher and student can grow quite strong. Nevertheless, the studio reserves the right to terminate a student’s lessons for the following infractions:
- Inappropriate behavior toward me on the part of the student. This includes violent outlashings, swearing, defamation of character, unacceptable advances or any other displays which fall outside the realm of common respect and decency.
- Inappropriate behavior toward me on the part of a student’s parent(s). This includes all of the above.
- Failure to pay monthly lessons in full.
All fees for tuition, festivals, ect are due in a timely manner. Invoices are sent by email and students may pay by check, cash, or credit card.
Regularly attending lessons each week is an important part of successful piano lessons. This issue is the responsibility of the parent and student. Students that make noticeable progress each year attend regular lessons during the school year (missing\not making up only 2 -3 lessons) and several during the summer.
In general, the studio follows Fairfax County school calendar and is closed when school is not in session EXCEPT for Teacher Work Days.
Piano lessons do continue during the summer, but on a modified schedule with availability during the day. If a student will be out of town during parts of the summer, please let me know in advance. If a student is going to take the entire summer off, please let me know in advance so I can make that slot available or adjust my teaching schedule.
Music and Materials
Parents and students are responsible for purchasing music and other supplies as needed. Materials can be ordered from the following places:
Music and Arts – Springfield Plaza
Sheet Music Plus – www.sheetmusicplus.com
Amazon – www.amazon.com
Just like any sport or school subject regular practice is the best guarantee for success and will help students achieve consistent progress. Daily practice and a set schedule is best and will help prevent many practice issues. Students that only practice at their weekly lessons will have very slow progress, often taking 3 years to achieve what other students achieve in one year. Learning to commit to daily piano practice is a skill that will prove use in other areas of life, including school and sports.
Parental support is a very important dynamic in musical training. Parents should take an active interest in lessons. This can be done in many ways. Several examples include:
- Attending lessons with the student.
- Discussing a current piece.
- Encouraging students to participate in non-competitive events.
- Purchasing (or promising to purchase) a quality instrument to practice on.
- Attending lessons on a regular basis.
- Not making frequent excuses (We were busy) for lack of practice.
- Watching YouTube videos of pianists (all ages and levels).
Students with parents that take an active interest in their child’s progress tend to excel and be more productive. Learning the piano is not easy and young students often have periods of frustration, just like with school or sports. Only the rare student is self-motivated, mature, and disciplined to practice regularly on their own. Parents must help to initiate practice and be involved.
Sports, Extracurricular Activities, Ect
Students are more than welcome to participate in other activities besides piano. Students should make sure they have sufficient time to practice each day.
There are various performance opportunities during the year for students of all ages and levels. These events provide students an incentive to practice, helps with striving to achieve goals, builds confidence and strengthens performance skills. Opportunities include:
- Annual Recital – Vienna
- Spring Festival – Arlington
- Jazz-Blues Festival – Fairfax
- Sonatina Festival – Springfield
- Guild Auditions – Alexandria
- Piano Exams – Vienna
All events are non-competitive opportunities for students to receive feedback and earn awards. These are annual events through various local music organizations.
As the studio is located in a professional office park, there is plenty of parking available in the Franconia Professional Office Complex.
Please be respectful of the area and grounds. Students are more than welcome to play or walk in the grass area when the weather is nice.
Please treat the studio area respectfully, especially for the students that come after your lesson. A few reminders:
- Please do not track mud or snow into the studio. your shoes for mud or snow before entering.
- Food and drinks are allowed in the waiting area. Please clean up your mess and dispose of trash and food in the trash can (located in the bathroom).
- Please put away all toys and books before leaving.
- Please do not stand or jump on the furniture.
- If you should arrive early for your scheduled lesson time, please wait quietly in the waiting room.
- Siblings or parents should wait quietly in the waiting room during a student’s lesson.
If you have any questions, please call my studio at any time. Leave a message-I’ll return your call at my earliest convenience.